[OM] blue skies, o where have you gone? (slightly OT)

Subject: [OM] blue skies, o where have you gone? (slightly OT)
From: "iwert" <iwert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:47:13 +0200
a slightly OT observation:

I remember from my childhood (not that long ago: 80's and 90's) clear blue
summer skies. You know: no cloud in sight till the horizon and a steel blue
sky.
We still have these days here sometimes, but what is distracting is the
amount of condensation trails from airplanes in these skies. Did airtraffic
increase so much lately (the last 10 years), or did the jet-engines change
their functioning, leaving longer lasting condensation trails? I remember
looking at the planes when I still had the time to lie on my back looking at
the sky, and the condenstaion trails mostly dissapeared quickly. (We also
had a NATO base close by, and watching the awacs, starfighters, and later
f16s was always impressive. Hearing the exercising bombings as well, I even
remeber a whole batalion standing in our street on exercise)

I am living in Belgium, close to say, 8 big airports within a 200 km radius.

OM content: these trails are "spoiling" my summer pictures as well, however
creative effects can be obtained as well!

Just an observation...

Iwert.