[OM] Re: Film vs. Digital @ equivalent 9 x 6 print then cropped and enl

Subject: [OM] Re: Film vs. Digital @ equivalent 9 x 6 print then cropped and enlarged
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 07:44:36 -0400
Simon,

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't believe you are speaking from
experience. Your comment that a 4000dpi film scan was not giving film a fair
advantage and your suggested approach suggests to me that you're new to this
topic.  4000dpi is one heck of a scan.  The Minolta will do 5400dpi, but I
would suspect the difference is small

If you comparing (in your head) to a flatbed scanner, than, well, that's
just wrong.

The amount of information in a film scan is clearly significantly greater.
The quality of the information in the DSLR is better.  Quality may be the
wrong word, but you get my drift.

A lot of people here with years of experience in both media, including
myself, and I fear you're heading down the wrong path.

Tom