[OM] Re: Film vs. Digital @ equivalent 9 x 6 print then cropped and enl

Subject: [OM] Re: Film vs. Digital @ equivalent 9 x 6 print then cropped and enlarged
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 20:31:32 +0100
Johnny,

Doesn't it depend how big your monitor is? And what resolution you're running
it. But that does sound about right, i.e. it's highly enlarged. Which is
exactly what I intended: I'm trying to enlarge a portion of the image
sufficiently that you can see the grain & errors, etc. coming in, so a
comparison can be made.

The human eye will see a 6.1 MP image as near perfect if it's printed out on
quality equipment @ 4 x 3" (by my reckoning that's 700-ish dpi as the source
image is 2850 x 2138).

But I keep reading that it's possible to blow up a digital image to A4 size,
say roughly 12" x 8". I make that 240-ish dpi, which I classify as crap.

As I haven't got any 12 x 8 film prints I could scan in, I went for 9 x 6.

Of course, since film doesn't have dpi equivalents, all I can do for comparison
is to scan in a 9 x 6 film print as best I can, and "enlarge" a section of it.

It's unfair to DSLR because I have to blow up what is already a lossy image
(JPEG), but it's equally unfair to film because to blow it up to show it
sensibly on screen, I have to "digitalise" something that isn't digital.

So overall, I think it's probably a reaonably fair comparison.

Regards,

Simon