[OM] Re: Ludicrously precise

Subject: [OM] Re: Ludicrously precise
From: Gary Edwards <zuikowarriors@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:22:43 -0700 (PDT)
GeeBee is quite correct.  The basis was 7 mph, not 7.0 mph.  You don't create
more precision by converting to metric, or SI.  It is a shame that the concept
of significant digits is not taught.  I even run across graduate engineers who
don't understand it.

Someone needs to write the "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" analog for simple
mathematics.

Gary

Siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:06:36 +0100, GeeBee wrote:

> From: "Siddiq"

>> > http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Olympus/kpho.htm
>> >

>> details, please, and context?
>
> Hi Siddiq,
>
> The speed limit for narrowboats on rivers and canals used to be
> expressed as
> 7 miles per hour but metrification has resulted in this precise
> conversion
> to kilometres per hour. Any speed limit that deals in decimal points is,
> in
> my opinion, a nonsense :-)
>
> --Graham

Most interesting :) Lovely photo, btw.