[OM] ( OM ) scanning negs and Scala

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) scanning negs and Scala
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 21:49:00 +1200
Hi All,

Just like having a darkroom for the first time. Well, nearly.

With the helpful intervention of my paid computer technician, finally my "new"
7 years old HP Photosmart scanner bought on you-know-where from
somebody in California who would sell to USA only, has been persuaded to
install.

I have just scanned some of the PanF photo negatives I took 50 years ago
and never had printed. Very interesting, what I did with my first roll of B&W.

However, I am part-way through shooting a few rolls of Scala, the B&W
positive film. This means that that blacks show as blacks and whites show
as whites.

The Photosmart, when it detects B&W media, inverts the densities, so that
clear areas on the negative come out black and vice versa. Which is exactly
what I won't want with Scala. I will want black to scan as black and white as
white. (This wouldn't suit our politicians here in NZ who will argue black is
white and have everybody believe it too).

Of the image editing programs I have, only Embellish will do an invert (ie
undo what the Photosmart will do to Scala).

Does Photoshop do it too?  Adobe Photo Deluxe doesn't have that tool.

If I can scan the Scala transparencies, not only can I avoid scanning ALL the
shots, but I can avoid the rather large costs associated with commercial
scanning, and get exactly the scan resolution I wish.

Cheers, Brian