[OM] Re: Comrades. (OT)

Subject: [OM] Re: Comrades. (OT)
From: R.Jackson <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 18:05:24 -0700
Heh...I'm going to shoot my senior film on it. ;-)

A few years ago I had a motorcycle wreck that left me unsure if I was
ever going to use my left arm again.

http://www.conventicle.com/my_fucking_arm.jpg

Anyway, while I was waiting around to see if it was just going to hang
there dead forever I decided to go back to college. Really, it was a
sanity thing. If I'd sat at home worrying I'd have lost my mind.
Eventually the arm got a lot better. I still don't have much feeling in
it, but it works (mostly). I'd been talking about going to film school
one day for so many years that it had become a running joke among the
people I worked with, so I decided to go ahead and do it. It felt a
little strange sitting in class with kids young enough to be my
children and even a few instructors young enough to be my children. I
was engrossed in a lecture one day and the instructor told the class
that when he was ten years old he saw Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan and
decided he wanted to be a filmmaker. I was thinking, "That was '82,
wasn't it? Hell, I remember '82. I was spending my weekends working on
a stock car in '82." Long story short (if that's possible
anymore...heh...), I was up in the projection room rolling a 16mm print
of a Brakhage film last semester and staring at the 35mm equipment.
I've enjoyed working in Super-8mm and 16mm, but I've been suffering
from negative envy. As soon as I made sure it was OK for me to project
35mm I decided I was going to shoot my senior film in 35. Of course, I
don't have $100k for a nice Arri setup, so this looked like just the
ticket. I look at these all the time, but they're almost always beat
up. It's kind of a miracle to find one in this kind of condition. Man,
I am rattling on, huh? Sorry. ;-)