[OM] Re: Greatly Exaggerated OM Item List

Subject: [OM] Re: Greatly Exaggerated OM Item List
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 19:33:03 +0200
Hi, all. Now I've got a bit of time to reply some old threads!

>From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I agree the price of 40/2 is high today but I can't agree on the lower
>optical quality.

All right, the 40/2 is very expensive, but there's no match in the OM line
-- and neither in most other brands. For me, the FOV of the 40mm is the
*perfect* standard: 50mm, even 45mm is too narrow for me. A 35mm would do
the trick, but on and SLR that means *retrofocus* design, with all
associated trade-offs (size, distortion, etc)

>With slides I didn't found its resolution poorer than 35/2
>at stopped down, at wide open it is even better than 35/2.

Again, picture quality has a definite *subjective* component -- I like the
'flavour' of the 40/2 very much, but dislike that of the Zuiko 35/2,
especially at the widest apertures. YMMV.

>The close focus
>performance is also excellent, not only it has higher mag. than 50/1.4 it is
>also much sharper at close distance.

Another good point of this tiny lens -- I even tried it on a bellows, with
*much* better results than the 50/1.4 & 1.8.

>It is now the lens I always bring with
>my E-1, I don't need to look for a 50/2 anymore.

The usual 'nose' of my EOS-300D is either the 28/2 or the (new to me) MC
24/2.8. However, I had great results with the 40/2 on the digital:
<http://cjss.sytes.net/atachaos/audrey40.jpeg>

Enjoy,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>