[OM] Grain with APX100 in Rodinal?

Subject: [OM] Grain with APX100 in Rodinal?
From: Nils Frohberg <nilsf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:28:35 +0200
Hi again,

is it normal that I can see the grain on a 10x15 print of APX 100 (at
ASA 160) in Rodinal 1+50 (20deg C, 17min, 1st minute constant agitation,
then all 30s once)? It seems to be a bit much grain, especially at 18x24
it ain't very nice (although do i expect some grain there.) If I compare
it to a print that I had done in a lab a few years ago (FP4+), i can see
as large grain (on 18x24) as on my 10x15 print.

How much tolerance is there on e.g. the temperature (I try to use 20deg
C water, but I don't know how much it increases during the 17mins; room
temp is approx 22deg currently), or the water:rodinal ratio? (I don't
have anything more precise than a scale that starts with 10ml yet, and I
need approx 5ml Rodinal for 1+50; I need to go search for something more
precise). I guess I can keep the temp between 20 & 21deg and the amount
of rodinal between 4 to 6ml, could this be the problem?

I'll try to send a scan of the 10x15 as soon as my scanner works again.

--nils