[OM] Re: Nasa OM-4

Subject: [OM] Re: Nasa OM-4
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 09:19:00 EDT
IIRC, the cameras modified for use in space needed larger top (and other)
controls to allow them to be operated with gloves on, no? After all, how would
you push/slide something like the rewind button, the "spot" button, etc etc
wearing gloves, especially the type used with a pressure suit? I know the
astronauts don't always need to wear their suits on the shuttle, but many times
they
do, such as when EVA (space walks) are being done. Even the guy that stays
behind and takes the photos has to be suited up in case of something going
wrong
during the space walk so he can possibly help out. If so, your photos can't be
real. Did you get them from a NASA source?

George S.

 omtech@xxxxxxxxx writes:
As I recall, Nikon and Olympus were competing to get a camera on the
shuttle.  The Nikon would have required lots of internal and external
modifications to qualify.  The ONLY work the Olympus setup needed was the
replacement of the outer leatherette with something like self stick aluminum
foil.

www.zuiko.com/nasa_om4.htm