[OM] Re: E1 and multiple flashes

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 and multiple flashes
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:28:26 +0000
Yet another reason for me to wait for the E-2 (or 3, if necessary), because I
do have a long-standing predilection for using multiple flashes.  Earlier this
week, I spent a pleasant morning photographing birds bathing at, of all things,
a bird bath in a shady nook in the back yard.  I used a T45 off camera about 4
ft. from the bath and a T20 in the hot shoe of an OM-4Ti with a 100/2 Zuiko
just over 5 ft. away.  The T45 was angled downward from about 45 degrees above
the bath and maybe 30 degrees to the right from the camera angle.

Considering the difference in the light output of the two flashes, I expect the
T20 will have provided a nice amount of fill, while the T45 will give the
modeling and depth to the subject you just can't get with on-camera flash.  I
could be wrong.  I'll know tomorrow when I go pick up the Provia 100F slides.
The birds and the bath are still here, so I can try again if things didn't work
out.  Not enough fill, I'll try a T32.  Too much fill, it's ND filter (a.k.a.
white plastic bag) time for the T20.

Of course, I probably could've figured the fill ratio out beforehand with my
handy-dandy Sekonic flash meter.  But, then, that wouldn't have been as much
fun, would it?

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from