[OM] Re: [OT]: Way OT/ Smoking Hot CD's

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]: Way OT/ Smoking Hot CD's
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 17:23:54 -0500
At 01:33 PM 7/6/04, Charlie asked:
>Greetings All,
>         Well it has much to quiet on the List today, so I will weigh in with
>an OT request for information. I was on a road trip over the weekend (taking
>my son to Summer camp in North Carolina) and made a peculiar observation. He
>brought his collection of music CD's to listen in the car. Most are original
>CD's with a few computer made copies of music CD's. After playing the
>store-bought CD's they are slightly warm to the touch...but the CD copies
>are almost too hot to hold! He actually dropped the first one while removing
>it. Any thoughts on why. I can understand that the dye layer in the
>read/write CD's may absorb more heat, but I'm a bit skeptical that the tiny
>milliwatt output of the reading laser could transfer that much heat. Thanks.
>
>Charlie

Was this in the car radio in the dash?

If so, it's not the reading laser, but all the heat generated by the entire
radio, including the audio power amplifier and backlighting of the buttons
and knobs if they're lit using incandescent bulbs (instead of LED's).  It's
usually worse if you've got the volume turned up (more juice through the
QBA) and are running at night in the Winter with the defroster/heater
cranked up:
* the quad-bridge audio power amp must dissipate more heat,
* the wick is turned up on the button/knob backlighting, and
* the heater/defrost adds additional heat under the dash (making it more
difficult for the radio to dissipate its heat).

There is also a technology difference between manufactured CD's and those
burned on the CD-ROM burner in a PC at home.  The home-brewed CD's, in
general, absorb more heat.  I know this issue all too well . . . hot CD's
in car radios [insert primal scream here] . . . but am not at liberty to
reveal why, or give any more details than I have, beyond that my knowledge
about this comes directly from what I do professionally.

-- John Lind