[OM] Re: Question for Clint (Was: Which Stylus?)

Subject: [OM] Re: Question for Clint (Was: Which Stylus?)
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 12:06:09 -0500
You're right -- I'm confident that many more 80's were sold than 115's, but
still not enough to account for the wide disparity in repair numbers.

Also, the nature of the faults I've seen lends testimony to my belief that
the 115 is a better camera.  Where the vast majority of 80's show up with
fractured barriers, back covers, front covers, back frames, and/or lens
barrels, there has been no pattern at all for the 115's I've seen -- one
with bad focus due to an IC failure, one DOA due to total circuit failure, a
few damaged due to sand or liquid, and so on.

Lastly, from my own observations of the internals of the cameras themselves,
the design of the 115 is superior in every way, from the basic concept (gear
trains instead of worm gears on shafts -- yech!) to the construction of the
parts (body parts and covers are thicker and more rugged, etc.), makes me
believe the 115 is the best option, at any price.

Still, the 80 is less expensive and smaller, and while it works, it usually
works pretty well....