[OM] Re: Bugbrooke Northamptonshire #1 (2 shots)

Subject: [OM] Re: Bugbrooke Northamptonshire #1 (2 shots)
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 21:13:31 -0700
on 6/30/04 10:41 PM, Chris Barker at ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Another nice pair Graham ;-)
>
> Am I right in thinking that, like orange filters, a green filter tends
> to reduce the exposure range between sky and earth?
>
> Chris

A green filter will lighten objects that are its own color (greens) such as
grass, trees, plants, etc. It will also darken objects that are the
'complementary' color, such as red objects, but it also to some extent
darkens the blue sky because blue is 'complementary' to the yellow component
of the 'green' in the filter.

So the blue of the sky renders a darker shade of gray than it otherwise
would (the clouds stay white, but the blue sky would probably be closer to
white instead of gray since the blue area of the sky is relatively bright).
The greens of the grass and trees render lighter shades of gray, as the
green filter lightens them... this darker shades of gray in the sky and
lighter shades of gray in the blue sky areas means the overall range of
tones in the image is more of the mid-grays and less the whiter-and-blacker
tones. This effect is noticable in the landscape images the GB collective
puts together.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...