[OM] Re: Canada Day

Subject: [OM] Re: Canada Day
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 21:44:04 -0300

On Jul 1, 2004, at 7:55 PM, Siddiq wrote:

> would any canucks (hope that isn't a derogatory term, certainly not
> meant  to be in this usage) tell me why today is significant?
> independance from england or ??? i keep hearing it was QE2 that "let"
> canada go 20yrs ago, even tho it was sovereign for much longer, but
> given the preponderance of french names and usage of the language, i
> would guess maybe france was involved? illuminate me :)

To get a true sense of Canadians' perspective on their own history, go
to the "Heritage Minutes" page. These are minute long spots shown on TV
during commercial breaks (although I haven't seen as many of them
lately). http://www.histori.ca/minutes/default.do

Here's the "responsible government" one:

http://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute.do?ID=10141

Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/