[OM] Re: Scanning grain

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanning grain
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:17:46 -0700
 From what I have read, if this is indeed grain aliasing, changing to a
lower scanning dpi may actually make the problem worse, but it doesn't
cost anything to try it on a frame.

In fact, have you tried setting both input and output to 5400 dpi?
Between input and output that differ in resolution is downsampling.The
downsampling in the scanner software could be part of the problem. Try
full size and see what it looks like. If it is ok, try resampling in PS
to see if it does a better job. Troubleshooting a multistep process
requires checking each step in turn and making no assumptions.

Greyscale is again an unknown. I assume the scanner software must do the
combination of the color channels internally. Unless it is a firmware
function of the scanner, but that still makes it programming that
processes the incoming data from the sensors. Certainly there isn't a
separate full spectrum sensor in the hardware.

Moose