[OM] Re: Green filters & portraits (Was: Light & Shade)

Subject: [OM] Re: Green filters & portraits (Was: Light & Shade)
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 05:08:40 +0000
Jim and I seem to have a difference of opinion.  Probably, all things
considered, not to put too fine a point on it, we are both right.  Besides, if
we all knew and agreed on everything, there wouldn't be much point to this list.

I wrote imprecisely when I posted that light green filters were appropriate for
portraits.  I should have said that light green (or yellow/green) filters are
appropriate for photographing people outdoors.  To some, the word "portrait"
conjures up visions of studio lighting and a more or less formal indoor
setting.  Under electronic flash, assuming a zit-free subject, a light green
filter might be useful.  Or it might not.

But outdoors, it seems there is general agreement from a number of quarters
that a light green or yellow/green filter is a good choice when photographing
members of our own species.  In addition to my own opinion on the subject, and
that of the Tiffen folks I quoted in my previous post, here are some others:

"The yellow green 060 filter is generally considered a universal filter for
black and white landscapes.  The tonal range is maintained while it lightens
greens, slightly reduces haze, and is particularly suitable if people are
included in the photograph."  B+W brochure.

"Outdoor portraits, more pleasing tonal rendition of light skin and more
natural reproduction of foliage: #11 Yellow/Green."  National Geographic
Photography Field Guide.

"The X1 filter is used with panchromatic film to obtain correct monochromatic
rendering of multicolored subjects, such as flowers, photographed in daylight.
This filter is also recommended in preference to a yellow filter for making
outdoor portraits against a sky.  The use of a yellow filter in this instance
may result in a chalky rendering of flesh tones."  Kodak Filters and
Polascreens For Black-and-White Films.

Walt

-------------- Original message from Jim Brokaw : --------------