[OM] Re: Kodak PictureCD enhancement?

Subject: [OM] Re: Kodak PictureCD enhancement?
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:07:18 +0100
Careful with terminology here.  PhotoCD is *not* the same as Picture CD.

Photo CD gives multiple levels of resolution, with the highest resolution
being 2048 x 3072 pixels, through 1024 x 1536; 512 x 768; 256 x 384 to 128 x
192.  A Pro PhotoCD adds 4096 x 6144.  The file format is proprietary PAC.

Picture CD gives a resolution of 1024 x 1536 with JPEG compression
(according to the spec!).

Over here in UK, scanning of E6 to JPEGs (ie Picture CD) at processing is
pretty easily available for less than $10 (and higher resolution JPEGs at
higher prices).  I have had Photo CD produced from E6, though it cost nearly
$40 (and the image quality was, of course, in a different league).

Piers