[OM] Re: The Transit of Venus

Subject: [OM] Re: The Transit of Venus
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:17:16 +0100
Carlos

Sorry about my late reply, but I watched part of the transit on 2
telescopes at work (brought in by engineers on the Squadrons).  One, a
small reflector with about 140x magnification, was owned by a chap who
seemed to know stuff.  He said that a couple of specks towards the
centre of the sun (I was looking when Venus was about 1/6th way across
the Sun) were storms or sun spots.

The view through the telescope that I had was absolutely stunning.
Venus was really clearly defined as a sharp circle.  I am not an
astronomer, but I found it exciting.

Chris

On 10 Jun 2004, at 10:50, Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas wrote:

> Hi, Wayne and all.
>
>> From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> Interesting shots Carlos, but what are the additional spots on for
>> example
>> http://cjss.sytes.net/etc/transito/1109L.JPG ?
>
> Thanks for your comments. The additional spots are... dust on the CMOS
> sensor :-( :-(
>
> These shots were taken at an effective aperture around f/16 (with the
> lens
> set at f/5.6, plus both teleconverters), thus the dust specks are quite
> noticeable. I usually shoot at much wider apertures, where the specks
> are
> almost invisible.
>
> Enjoy,

> Carlos J. Santisteban