[OM] Re: E-1 discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 discussion
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:58:04 -0400
Great points.  Luckily, I don't have a 10D to do head-to-head comparisons
against, instead I have to limp along and just enjoy my E-1.  After 3-4,000
exposures, my issues are as follows.  I won't go into what I like, as that
would be too long a list.

1. Metering many times overemphasizes the whites, rendering the total scene
underexposed.  I guess that's better than blowing the highlights though.

2. AF sometimes gets very, very confused at one end of the range.  With the
50-200, I've had the camera not be able to go from one end of the focusing
range, sticking at a close distance.  Only an OFF-ON cycle fixed it.

3. The camera sometimes halts, especially with the 50-200, for no apparant
reason.  Again, an OFF-ON cycle is the cure.

4. If you take one exposure, there is a definite timeframe in which the camera
WILL NOT take another picture until it finishes it's task.  I haven't done
enough testing to find out the exact circumstances, but it's not very often.

5. I hit the custom WB button too often, putting the camera into a "select the
custom WB setting" mode, which must be cancelled by the menu button.  Other
boo-boo's, like accidentally pressing the PLAY button, are much easier to
correct with a press on the shutter.

6. Getting the camera to lock onto moving targets can be difficult, as the
center AF spot is pretty small.  There is also a distinct gap between the
center and outer points, where a subject can hide and force the camera to focus
on the background.  It's no where near as bad as the Nikon D70/D100 cameras,
which have a huge hole, I don't know about Canon.  I'd like more, closer-spaced
focusing points.  I do like the way that the camera will hand-off control from
the center to outer points when necessary.

7. The time required for a shot to be available on the rear LCD is somewhat
long compared to some other cameras, esp the D2H.

A question:

I don't find the write times a problem, and the timing from dpreview.com shows
that the E-1 is actually much faster at RAW file writing, but on a par with
JPG's.  Why do you say that the 10D is faster?

Skip