[OM] Re: Dynamic range of films (and digits)

Subject: [OM] Re: Dynamic range of films (and digits)
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 22:56:49 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Gwinn" <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Isn't 10D one of those C*n*n thingeys?  Wash your mouth out with soap!

To show my Olympus royalty, I have already sold the 10D ;-)

<snip>

> All in all, one would expect substantially similar raw optical
> performance, unless one chip is far noisier than the other, which
> seems unlikely in competing products from major camera manufacturers.

May be the Olympus circuit is noiser, the signal amplifier circuit also pay
an important roll.

> I would have to guess that the 10D does far heavier averaging,
> especially in flat areas, reducing noise at the expense of color
> fidelity.  It appears that the 10D may have gone too far in this.

May be. For the DCs I have used, Olympus has the most noise images. It
including the C2000, E-10 and 5050. At the same time others maker has better
noise control but non has the overall quality that Olympus provided. I'm
still using the 5050, beside noise the image quality is great!

> >http://www.accura.com.hk/P5301309.jpg (1.2MB original pixel)
>
> On my computer, the brightness is normal (not dark), and it does seem
> to have excellent shadow detail, but I fear that the low contrast
> scene is not a sufficiently stringent test.  The low sharpness also
> tends to diffuse whatever highlights there are, reducing the peaks.

The original scene was not really low contrast as indicated by the blue sky.
In my experience most slides will not be able to provide this capture range.

<snip>

> >I have reduced the image size by 50%, so it looked good.
>
> Ahh.  This would have the effect of oversampling the remaining image,
> which will smooth the edges nicely.  It also tends to reduce noise.
> Was this done in the camera, or later, in your computer?

It was done by PS.

C.H.Ling