[OM] Re: Somewhat OT -- getting top D-Max on B&W film

Subject: [OM] Re: Somewhat OT -- getting top D-Max on B&W film
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 22:33:35 +0200
Hi AG, Mike and all.

>From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>Pan-F will have the clear (non-frosted) base.

I hope it will impair image quality to a lesser extent.

>You probably did get a reversal going.  Expose the film to light
>(a few seconds of daylight or roomlight will be sufficient) and
>process in the dark.  Daylight processing WILL reverse the film.

Mmmm, that's interesting. Any orientation of how much exposure will suffice
with such a slow film? (say, for instance, a 60W bulb at 4 ft. for 15
seconds)

I think a longer development time is always desired to get a higher D-max
(the *only* density here, though). Would 1+9 dilution of DD-X (even with
longer times) achieve a lower D-max than the standard 1+4?

>Another film you might be better off with is FP4.  I believe the
>emulsion layer is a bit thicker and it achieves a higher DMAX
>than PanF.

I may give it a try. However, this time I'm not looking for the
top-of-the-tops D-max, because it's unlikely to watch this event with the
unaided (but filtered) eye. D=4 or 5 would suffice in order not to burn the
cameras ;-)

>Stay away from the Delta films as they have a frosted base.

OK. T-Max films are also to be avoided -- IIRC, T-Max 100 is particularly
unsuitable, even unsafe.

>From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Carlos, go to a welding supply store and get the replacement protective
>glass for a welder's helmet.

I've got a couple of these. I'll give them a try, too.

Again, thanks a lot to you all.

Enjoy,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>