[OM] Re: Test scans from walt - minolta 5400- Sample scan

Subject: [OM] Re: Test scans from walt - minolta 5400- Sample scan
From: "Dado dela Cruz" <dado@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 22:15:09 +0800
Hi Gary, Richard, Walt and Adam.  Hi All

Many thanks to you guys for these beautiful "blow-up's" of scanned slides!

I now have an idea on how sharp the grains of the scanned slides done with a
5400 dpi film scanner. I might be wrong but I have an impression that a blow
up of the same slides in a projector or enlarger would  yield noticeable
sharper grains. I'm not against digital photography (In fact, I'm very much
interested and I'm learning) but I think there's still some limitations on
the scanned images from film as compared to pictures directly printed from
film (negatives or slides). THIS IS AS FAR AS SHARPNESS IS CONCERNED.

But then, by way of comparison,  sharpness of the film print could be very
different from the sharpness of a digitally produced photo. My basis for
judging a film print is the sharply focused grains when viewed with a
magnifier.

Maybe it's the pixels and the inherent limitation in the resolution of the
monitor that intervened in viewing the sharpness of the grains.

I'm a newbie to the list and so to the digital process. I have to intention
to offend anybody and please  pardon me if the comments are incorrect. As I
have said earlier, I'm still learning this digjtal course.

Regards,

Dado