[OM] Re: Test scans from walt - minolta 5400- Sample scan

Subject: [OM] Re: Test scans from walt - minolta 5400- Sample scan
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 09:05:29 -0400
on 2004/05/23 12:50 AM, Walt Wayman at hiwayman@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In addition to the examples from Gary and Richard, I just added a blow-up of
> part of the red hot rod, which shows what Velvia grain looks like.
>
> http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html

Caution though: as an article referred to a few months ago pointed out, as
the sampling (scanning) frequency begins to approach the "frequency" of the
grain, sampling artifacts can occur which magnify the apparent grain. Thus,
you shouldn't stop adding resolution at the point where you "see" grain if
you're going to do a piece of film justice.

Does anyone know the average distance between "grain" clouds in Velvia?
You'd need to sample at half this distance or better (as it isn't a simple
sine wave) to avoid artifacts.

Anyone with a DSP background?

BTW, I think digital cameras will outdo scanning film within a few years.
I'm just properly sceptical that they've done it already.

Andrew