[OM] Somewhat OT -- getting top D-Max on B&W film

Subject: [OM] Somewhat OT -- getting top D-Max on B&W film
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 21:41:01 +0200
Hi, all.

A slightly OT question for you darkroom wizards...

I'll try to get some pictures of the Transit of Venus, so I need a solar
filter. Since a 'real' one is impossible to get here (at least, on time),
I'll use a fully darkened strip of 120 B&W film (*not* chromogenic!!!).
Back to the solar eclipse of 1999 I made my filters that way, and it worked
properly -- pics came OK and our retinas weren't burned ;-)

Now it's time to look for a film-developer combination which achieves my
two goals:

*Pretty high optical density (D=4-5 would be fine for the camera, but I'd
prefer something like D=6 for naked eye observation)

*Clear base, in order not to impair *too much* image sharpness and
resolution -- I know I can't expect miracles here, though.

Back in 1999 I had the weird TXP (quite different from our beloved Tri-X,
TX) *way* overdeveloped on HC-110 under intense lighting. I no longer have
the stips, nor the development data :-(

This time I'm trying with Ilford Pan-F (not 'plus') and Ilfotec DD-X. For
'normal' use, I find the Pan-F (plus?) base quite clear, and IIRC this film
achieves a rather high D-max.

However, my first experiments (DD-X 1+9, 20 min @ 22C / 72F) don't look to
have a very high D-max. Any guidelines for increasing D-max?

Should I be concerned about the film's exposure? This time I had the film
facing the sun for about half a minute, and developed it in an open tank
(indoors). I've heard that a severe overexposure may 'reverse' the fogging
and reduce D-max, is that true?

I may sacrifice a roll of 120 Technical Pan, would that be much better?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Enjoy,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>