[OM] Olympus moving to PA

Subject: [OM] Olympus moving to PA
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 11:01:59 -0500
Olympus is at it again!

This month's PTN (Photo Trade News) has an article describing the
circumstances of Olympus' decision to move it's head quarters from Long
Island to Pennsylvania.  According to the article, the move will take place
"before its current lease runs out in August 2006."

According to Olympus, a tax abatement thrown in by the state of Pennsylvania
will save them "tens of millions of dollars."  But to quote the article:

"...others have seen the move less positively, arguing that it was more a
matter of convenience than anything else.  [President and COO of Olympus,
Mark] Gumz lives only three miles from the Stabler Corporate Center in
Center Valley, PA where Olympus is moving, compared to the current Melville
offices, which are 120 miles away.

U.S. Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) issued a statement following the
announcement calling the search process "a charade that left 840 of their
loyal workers in the dust.

"[Olympus'] responses to our economic offers became a case study of delay
and deceptions," Schumer challenged.

But Olympus has said it would offer "Long Island-based employees in good
standing" their jobs at the new location in addition to "company assistance"
for the move to Pennsylvania."

OK, so here's the whole point -- should we take up a collection to pay John
to "stake out" the dumpsters out back?  ;^)