[OM] Re: [OMCameras] Lens Brands

Subject: [OM] Re: [OMCameras] Lens Brands
From: "Tom Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 23:33:39 -0400
On Friday, May 21, 2004 at 2:19,
yahweh111 <OMCameras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As I've been researching lens to use with my Om4, I read somewhere that
> certain type lenses are the "best". For example, 24/2, 55/1.2, and
> 135/2.8 because theyre so fast. But as I shop on ebay, I'm confronted
> with so many brand names. Zuiko, Tokina, Vivitar, Tamron?

That's a generality that's not always so. Later 50/1.8s and 50/1.4s are
much sharper than the 55/1.2. The 50/1.2 is in between.

Also, there is much variation between models, and even particular
lenses, especially after dropping them....

> Is there a resource where I can find out who makes the best lens for
> different type lens? Macro, Zoom, Wide Angle, etc.

Many. See
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm
http://studweb.studserv.uni-stuttgart.de/studweb/users/mas/mas12462/OM/MTF/mtf-overview.html
http://www.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html
and/or use Google

> Also, I'm looking for a good lens to use on an Olympus Bellows unit to
> copy 35mm slides and heard that a good lens is the 80mm/f4, but they're
> very expensive. Aren't there other lenses I can use that may not be as
> expensive and can be used with the bellows unit?

The 50/3.5 is a good sharp standard and macro lens that is cheaper than
the 80 and usable without the bellows  I don't know how well it works
with the slide duplicator.

Any good enlarging lens will be a good macro lens. You just need an
adaptor for the bellows. They will be much cheaper.

Also, there are other lists (See "To"") that cover OM cameras.

tOM
--- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ottawa-photo-clubs ----
ttOM Trottier, Ottawa, Canada
        758 Albert St, Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
        +1 613 231-6115 N45.412 W75.714
 http://canadiancameraconference.ca - Nanaimo BC, June 25-7 2004
"The moment one gives close attention to anything,
even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious,
awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself "
-- Henry Miller, 1891-1980