[OM] Re: ( OM ) Kodachrome in the USA

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) Kodachrome in the USA
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:37:50 -0700
I went to the Planes of Fame Airshow today (Chino, California). Shot the
tail end of one roll, two other full rolls and most of a third using the
OM-4 and the 35/2 and 200/4 Zuikos--and wishing I'd brought my 300/4.5
since there was a larger crowd than previous years and I had a devil of
a time getting near the taxiways and runways. Sad, that, because it's
usually possible.

Shooting was in between watching (and my favorite part, *listening to*)
a lot of old warbirds flying. At one point, 28 WWII vintage aircraft in
the air simultaneously, including some 7 P-51s, a B-17, 3 B-25s, and
other assorted aircraft including a Thunderbolt, Dauntless SBD, a pair
of P-40s, a pair of Tigercats, at least one Bearcat a P-38, a couple of
Wildcats and many others not coming immediately to mind. For some reason
I don't know, only one of the Spitfires present flew today--I believe it
was the Mark XIX.

Another treat was that the P-38 National Association's convention was in
town this week, so I got to speak with a couple of Old Guys who flew
'em. There's nothing better than getting to chat with those that were
there, and there's darn few of them left any more.

Planes of Fame also owns (and flew today) the Northrop N9MB flying
wing--unfortunately, I was stuck in the parking lot entrance line when
it flew, so got no pictures of it in the air.

And finally, got to watch the only Zero still flying in the USA on its
original Japanese engine.

I'm hoping I got some decent shots--what I needed was a higher vantage
point, but there was none to be had.

---
Scott Gomez