[OM] Electronic Malfunctioning of the OM2n

Subject: [OM] Electronic Malfunctioning of the OM2n
From: "Dado dela Cruz" <dado@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 08:35:59 +0800
Hi to all!

Lately, my OM2n showed the following signs:

1) Heavy battery drain. My button cells lasted only a few days
2) The meter became erratic. Reading in Auto gave higher (about 3 stop higher)
shutter speed numbers.

I did some trouble shooting and I'm very thankful to Mark (Dapoz) for providing
me with the needed troubleshooting guide.

I dismantled the camera and found the culprit - the " SW402" also known as the
Main switch or the mirror switch.  It appears that some insulations gave way
and the output of this switch became grounded.  I can peak from the outside
that the remedy is to restore the insulation but I really don't know how. The
switch is located in  quite inner part of the camera.  I'm planning to paint
the gold plated contact wires for insulation but this would only be temporary.
The continuous operation of the camera will surely scrape the paint away.

I am here in a place where there are very few skilled camera repairmen that's
why I'm doing the repair by myself. I have some good cameras slaughtered by the
local camera butchers. Sending this abroad is then very expensive. BESIDES,
REPAIRING YOUR OWN CAMERA IS A VERY SATISFYING JOB!!!

I shall appreciate very much any help from  members who also enjoy doing their
own repairs and have already encountered this kind of electronic trouble in
their OM2n.

Dado
Manila, Philippines