[OM] Re: OT-HeLA, chromosomes, and ploidy

Subject: [OM] Re: OT-HeLA, chromosomes, and ploidy
From: "Stephen Scharf" <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 22:01:22 -0700

HeLa cells are indeed a cell line developed in the late 40's from Henrietta
Lacks.

But a human diploid cell line has the normal number of chromosomes. We all
have two copies of autosomal chromosomes, hence the term diploid. Females
are diploid for the X chromosome, though one copy is inactivated, so females
are functionally haploid for the X-chromosome. Males are haploid for the X
and for the Y chromosome. A running gag of mine is that the (dominant) genes
1) for not asking directions, 2) an overwhelming urge to take everything
apart and 3) the ability to identify aircraft are located on the Y
chromosome.;-) A cell with twice the no. of chromosomes would be tetraploid,
which would not be unusual in cancer cells, as a hallmark of cancer cells is
a complete disruption and often, rearrangement of  chromosomes, both in
number and with respect to translocations.

-Stephen.