[OM] Re: Where to buy Olympus E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: Where to buy Olympus E-1
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 09:14:05 -0600
At 07:08 AM 08/05/2004, Wayne Shumaker wrote:

[snip]

>Here in Taxachusetts, they are trying to change that. There is an item
>on the state income tax for sales tax on items bought out of state.
>Someday when big brother starts tracking all online sales... actually I
>really don't want to start thinking about this.

Ah, Wayne, your fair state is probably being infected by the Federal
Canadian Tax Disease, which makes politicians and bureaucrats believe that
GST should be charged everywhere on the planet, just as long as it's a
Canadian buying a good or service, with the proceeds being remitted
directly to the trough in Ottawa.

I'm not kidding.  Standard tax law here in Canuckistan is that, if I buy a
service or good online from the States (for instance), the seller should
charge me GST and then ship it off to Ottawa.  In some cases, the Feds have
managed to blackmail large software firms (such as Adobe) into doing this
with their online sales, threatening otherwise to stop doing their business
with these firms' Canadian subsidiaries.

Complaints by groups such as the Canadian Taxpayers Federation that such a
reach is blatant extraterritoriality have been brushed off.  Nothing must
be allowed to attenuate the flow of the tax stream into the rapine cesspool
of our national capitol.

Garth