[OM] Anomalies in E-1/OM Images

Subject: [OM] Anomalies in E-1/OM Images
From: Cyrtolite@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:23:35 -0400
I’ve noticed some interesting anomalies in the E-1 images I’ve captured with
the OM autobellows using the OM/FourThirds adapter.  There are circular spots
that appear in exactly the same location on every image, regardless of the
E-1’s orientation relative to the autobellows and lens assembly (the camera can
be rotated on the bellows to optimize the orientation of the image in the
frame). There is no regular pattern in the arrangement or size of these spots.
At first I thought I had dust or something on the image sensor but I carefully
examined numerous images that I shot during the same time period with the Zuiko
Digital 14-54 and the OM Zuiko 65-200 and these anomalies do not appear in any
of those images. For example, I found the anomalies in images shot with the
bellows on 4/23 and 4/28 (including the image I posted here previously), but
not in images shot with other optics on 4/25 and 4/29.  I have also looked for
these anomalies in scans of slides captured with a
 n OM-2s and the autobellows with the same lens, and not found them but I need
to scan some more recent shots and examine them to be sure.

One possibility is that the cause of these spots is something in the 25mm
extension tube, which rotates with the camera on the bellows mount.  This seems
unlikely to me because these spots appear on opposite sides of the images.

If you follow the link below, you will see two examples of these anomalies.
These two images were taken with the E-1 in different orientations relative to
the bellows/lens assembly, and yet the anomalies appear in exactly the same
location in both images. I highlighted one group of spots but you can see
others if you look closely – one to the right of the highlighted group and one
on the right-hand edge of the images.

(Please forgive me if the link doesn’t work. This is the first time I’ve tried
this method of sending images.)
http://aolsvc.pictures.aol.com/NASApp/ygp/Start?event=DirectView&shareInfo=esv4e%2b9w77kfzTiE%2bKh1g1nFbyHCfnWlqEoO5pqsyGu%2fjFCnkV3ciA%3d%3d&pageName=AlbumViewFromEmails

Do these look familiar to anyone?  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Scott Whittemore