[OM] Re: OM eyecups & dioptric correction

Subject: [OM] Re: OM eyecups & dioptric correction
From: "CyberSimian" <OlySimian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:45:53 -0000
Ross Orr wrote:
<all snipped>

Apologies for the lateness of this post, but my Internet Service Provider
suddenly decided that Olympus list mail was spam, and redirected it to
another folder for several days before I managed to find it.

On the Olympus eyecup scale of defective eyesight, I am a -4, so need a
dioptric correction lens even for my OM4Ti (whose built-in adjustment
extends only to -3).  I don't wear glasses when using the camera because I
cannot see opposite edges of the viewfinder simultaneously, and that lead to
far too many of my pictures being miscomposed (what I thought was in the
centre of the picture ended up off-centre in the developed slide or neg).

On my OM2, I use an Eyecup 1, but with the rubber eyecup itself removed
(this is easy to remove and replace on the Eyecup 1).  Using that
configuration I can see the entire viewfinder screen without having to move
my eye from side to side.  The Eyecup 1 has the advantage of taking
"standard" camera dioptric correction lenses available from many photo shops
(e.g. Jessops in the UK), so you don't need to buy Olympus dioptric lenses
(but be aware that the Olympus scale of dioptric strength may differ from
the scale used by other brands, so take your camera with you and try several
in the shop before purchase; for example, -4 on the Olympus scale
corresponds to -3 on the Jessops scale).

On my OM4Ti, the Eyecup 1 vignettes the viewfinder, even with the rubber
eyecup removed (I think that this is because the rear element of the
viewfinder optical system is more-deeply recessed on the OM4Ti than it is on
the OM2).  So I tried an Eyecup 2, but that too vignettes the viewfinder.
To circumvent this, I removed the U-shaped piece of rubber from the Eyecup
2.  Note: the rubber will pull off (carefully!), but this is a one-way
operation -- once removed, the rubber cannot be replaced.  With the rubber
removed, I can now see the entire viewfinder without vignetting.  The final
piece of customisation was to cut off the retaining lip around the edge of
the Eyecup 2, to leave a minimal plastic frame holding the lens.  Be very
careful if you attempt this, to avoid scratching or breaking the dioptric
lens (I tried this on a pre-used Eyecup 2 purchased for a pittance).  One
additional benefit of these changes is that at least some versions of the
ERC can accommodate the camera with the dioptric lens fitted (not important
if you are not an ERC user).

-- from Cy in the UK