[OM] Re: Help solving problem

Subject: [OM] Re: Help solving problem
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:35:58 +0100
The OM-10 manual (in the eSIF) doesn't seem to support your recollection
John, but I think you are on the right track.

First, the text of the OM-10 manual:
"The T32 and T20 electronic flash units specifically designed for OM cameras
provide artificial illumination when you take pictures at night or indoors.
< Characteristics of flash photography using the T32-T20>
1 Mount the Electronic Flash T32 (or T20) on the accessory shoe of the
camera. When the ON-OFF switch of the T32 (or T20) is turned on, the normal
auto flash control begins working. When turned off, it reverts to the
camera's AE photography. It takes but a flick of a finger to change it from
one to the other.
2 When the ON-OFF switch of the T32 (or T20) is turned on the flash will be
automatically synchronized at the shutter speed of the camera.
3 It is possible to verify when the flash is ready because a full charge
signal lights in the viewfinder.
4 In addition to the charge signal automatically lighting at "Z" you can
refer to the shutter speed indicated by another red light in the viewfinder
as required by the available light.
5 It is possible to check a correct flash exposure in the viewfinder if the
signal light blinks.
If any electronic flash other than the T32 and T20 is used, set the mode1
selector lever to the "MANUAL  ADAPTER" position (If the mode selector lever
is set to "AUTO", the shutter speed responds to available light and may
sometimes not synchronize with flash.)
In this case, the viewfinder does not indicate the full flash charge and
correct flash exposure. For further information, refer to the instruction
manual supplied with your electronic flash unit.
If an electronic flash Is used while the optional Manual Adapter 'is
attached, set the shutter speed at 1/30 sec. or slower. For details, read
the instruction manual supplied with the Manual Adapter"

There is no Manual Adapter instruction manual in the eSIF :-(  BUT I
excavated the back of my desk drawer, and was able to fill the gap.  Here is
the salient extract:

"For use with the electronic flash T-20, set the adapter at 1/30 sec to
synchronize with the T20."

SO, even though the OM-10 manual suggests otherwise, if you have the manual
adapter fitted, set it to 1/30 sec, not 1/60.  I have learned something
tonight!

Piers