[OM] E-1 and OM Autobellows

Subject: [OM] E-1 and OM Autobellows
From: Cyrtolite@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:53:56 EDT
I just joined the list after lurking for a while in the archives.  I've been
an OM System aficianado for a long time and I just went digital with the E-1,
14-54mm zoom, 50mm macro, FL-50 flash and some other odds and ends.  I was
probably among the first to place an order for the OM/FourThirds adapter becase
was hoping to use the E-1 with my microscope and my autobellows for
photomicrography.

I saw in the archives that Jim Caldwell was asking about compatability of the
E-1 and autobellows via the OM/FourThirds adapter. I'm wondering whether any
list members have actually used the E-1 with the autobellows and have results
to report.  I have and my results are very disappointing. I'm hoping it's
because I'm doing something wrong, although I can't think of what it could be.

I had the E-1 set to aperture priority auto exposure with center-weighted
average metering, manual focus, ISO 100, and WB at 3600K. E-1 was connected via
the adapter to an OM 25mm extension tube and the autobellows with the Zuiko
20mm f2 macro lens.  I was using a halogen lamp with fiber optic tubes and
diffusers for illumination.  This (except for the E-1) is essentially the same
setup
I use with OM bodies loaded with Fujichrome 64T film to get very good
results.  The E-1 images I got were very soft (as if I had not bothered to
focus) and
were underexposed, even if I set exposure compensation  to +1.0 EV. My best
results were at f8 but all were unacceptable. I plan to try it again in the
next couple of days, hoping to discover that I was making some dumb mistake.

Has anyone else attempted this?  Jim, have you tried the E-1 with your
bellows yet?

Thanks.

Scott Whittemore