[OM] Re: C8080 Review

Subject: [OM] Re: C8080 Review
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:08:24 -0700 (PDT)
> >www.iowatelecom.net/~image66
>
> Spectacular shot.

Thank you.  Already sold a couple of prints and it's being
distro'd for backgrounds for projection systems.  I've got three
other variations (total of four) that are amazing.

However, when using the RAW converter, I tried backing out all
of the color enhancements.  Yuck.  Flat, lifeless, realistic.
Tried to enhance using an editor.  Yuck.  For some reason,
Minolta's color-enhancement algorithm produces a nicer "Velvia"
look.  But the noise is off the chart.  I'll rework it again
from the RAW converter to see if I can get the Velvia look
without the noise.  Cranking up the saturation, contrast and
curve adjustment in the editor didn't give me the same look.  It
must be in the order that the converter does it.

Shooting digital takes a whole different metering mindset than
shooting B&W film or Velvia.

Oh, and about 40 minutes earlier, this supercell had the most
intense looking wall-cloud and mesocyclone which triggered
tornado warnings all over the Des Moines metro area.  That puppy
was rotating with a vengence.  At least five tornadoes were seen
forming (but not touching down) from this storm.  The main cell
passed us by about 10 miles.

AG