[OM] Re: Darkroom - Getting the paper to turn black

Subject: [OM] Re: Darkroom - Getting the paper to turn black
From: Nils Frohberg <nilsf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:59:36 +0200
Daniel Tan wrote:
> It sounds to me that there's something wrong with your paper, though the
> chemicals could be to blame. I can't say I've ever tried agfa
> paper/chemicals, as I've done all my printing with Ilford
> consumables/gear.

it's hard to get paper where i live. i didn't see any ilford when i
looked. (they're in white boxes i presume?) maybe i'll have to take a
trip to cologne soon..

> Have you tried leaving it in the developer for a longer period of time?

i forgot to mention in my OP that i normally leave the paper in the
developer for 55-60s. agfa recommends 50s +-10s. for the test i left the
paper in the tray for over 3min and results didn't vary.

i also tried old paper (tetenal, agfa, and some in a red box where i
didn't find any brand on) i found in the darkroom. much of it gets to
the same black as my fresh paper, but none more (well, the paper must be
at least 2a old now, so that doesn't surprise me much).

> I strongly suggest you find a friend who has alternate paper & chemicals
> and mix-n-match to identify the problem. I can highly recommend Ilford
> Multigrade IV Resin paper & developers (for B&W).

my problem is that i don't have any friends that are into darkroom work.
i will go to a pro-photographer tomorrow to look at some of her
contacts/prints and chat a little though, so maybe i'll get to try out a
print or two in the darkroom there..

> Daniel

thanks,

--nils

hmm, i had problems getting mails to the list lately (my setup, nothing
wrong with the list), so sorry for the broken linewrap caused by the
webform i finally used. i hope this message can fight its way to the list..