[OM] Re: ( OM ) tripod stability

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) tripod stability
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:00:06 -0700
This is a known problem with metal tripods. As expected, some designs
are better than others. There are so many variables that it is really
impossible to generalize. Wrapping the legs with pipe insulation  when
extended should help, but who wants to carry around such long pieces of
insulation? The bag of something weighty hung from the center post
technique helps with this kind of vibration. The Walt solution of a bag
of lead shot draped over the camera and lens would help this as well as
camera level vibration. When using the Oly suggestion of holding the
camera rather than relying on the timer, I also use down pressure to
stabilize the tripod by using my 'wetware' body to damp vibrations. Big,
heavy tripods are obviously less susceptible.

This is one of the areas where carbon fiber tripods can excel. My Hakuba
CF is really 'dead', vibrations well damped. A Bogen CF I tried at the
time I bought the Hakuba vibrated much more easily. It had quite a
different CF material and leg design. One of my aluminum tripods (Not
the lightest!) is ridiculous, vibrating madly with the least little
incitement.

Moose