[OM] Re: [OT] Was: 3 phase wiring Now: railroad gauge

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Was: 3 phase wiring Now: railroad gauge
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:01:22 +0100
It's fun travelling between China and Western Europe by train - both run
on standard gauge, but Russia, the former USSR and Mongolia all have
wide gauge tracks.  I'd have thought the easiest thing to do at the
relevant borders would be to change trains, but actually the train goes
out to a depot where every carriage is raised, all the bogies removed
and a whole new wide set put on.  Takes a couple of hours to do, and if
you don't realise it's about to happen and don't get off the train,
you're stuck in the carriage while it all goes on.  While thus stranded
on the border between China and Mongolia I took this shot:

www.world-traveller.org/travel/beijing-london/photos/train-china/CN16-S15-35.jpg

OM-1n, 28/2.8 lens.  If I go that way again I'll get off the train!  I
think the view would have been a lot better.

Roger