[OM] Re: Scanner Q (was Hunstanton #3)

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner Q (was Hunstanton #3)
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 09:18:53 +0100
<snip>
For the purpose stated, one of the earlier Epsons with the transparency
light (3200 & 16??)  should be sufficient and much cheaper. When you put

the neg strips in their holder, I believe the software makesone scanning

pass and then separates each shot.

Moose
</snip>

Correct.  I have the Epson Perfection 3200 Photo.  It allows you to put
2 x strips of 6 negs in at a time (or 4 mounted slides) and it
recognises where each frame is and scans them as separate images for
you.

Beware that the earlier versions (the Epson 2400 ?) had a neg holder
that wasn't very good.  Allowed the end of each strip of negs to curl up
slightly.  The end of each strip had a certain amount of the light
leaking around it, and an out-of-focus edge.  The 3200 has a
much-improved neg-holder.

Also beware that although the 3200 recognises individual shots MOST of
the time, if you shoot a lot with very dark or black background it
sometimes has issues finding where the shot finishes and the neg-holder
starts !  My roll of a band at a local music festival had to be scanned
individually, as the black backdrop confused the Epson-Scan software
quite badly !!  Not sure why this is, as on a negative this would be
clear, and the holder is black, but I'll leave that for you all to
ponder ....

Regards,

Jon