[OM] Re: More newbie Flash Questions

Subject: [OM] Re: More newbie Flash Questions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 20:10:53 -0700
hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>With the T-32 in TTL and camera on auto:
>Does the 4T/2N automatically limit shutterspeeds to 1/60

Yes, only 1/60.

>and up?

No. At any speed above 1/60 the second curtain starts across the film
before the first curtain completes its transit, so there is no moment
when the flash can illuminate the whole frame.

>Both cameras will show slower speeds than 1/60 with the flash turned on
>and higher aperatures selected. Are these "false" readings?

False in the sense that they do not indicate what speed will be used if
the flash in on and charged, yes. Accurate in the sense that they show
the alternative to flash (which I think is quite useful), yes. Prefer a
natural light shot at the speed indicated in the viewfinder? Flip the
flash to off and shoot. The switch to fixed 1/60 sec. is triggered by
the flash ready signal that also lights the flash ready viewfinder
light. So if the flash hasn't recycled or is turned off, the camera will
use roughly the indicated shutter speed. If the flash is partially
charged, the TTL circuit will sense its output as part of the image
light if the speed is 1/60 or below. For a higher speed, the flash will
not be triggered at all.

Moose