[OM] ( OM ) Group membership and contributions

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) Group membership and contributions
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 20:06:58 +1200
Hello all,

Now, I don't want to start something with flames; these are just my
observations, right?

During the failure of the Digest to work, yes, I had withdrawal symptoms, like
stopping smoking ( which I did 30 years ago so I know all about that. I used
to inhale a pipe and enjoy it).

But it wasn't long before I was really enjoying the 30 or more minutes free
time that "no digest" gave me. Some of the digests have been 200+ kb, and
that takes a bit of reading. Not so much reading, as sifting the gold from the
dross - to get at the often rather sparse nuggets of good stuff... At one time
the digest was just 56kb a day. Fine.

People have wondered where John Lind has got to. I'd almost put money on
it that this is the answer. Probably others as well.

What causes the padding?  Well, apart from the fact that the last Digest was
double-spaced which means double the scrolling to read it,  there are all the
repeats of repeats of quotes - up to 6-deep at times. Also, many people fail
to remove the multiple blank lines in what they write or copy. More needless
scrolling. HTML-text gratefully is a thing of the past - I'm thankful for that.
But, self-discipline would be great.

Perhaps the Lister program could be programmed to snip off quotes greater
than 10 lines long?

Cheers, Brian