[OM] 35-70, was More on 35~105 variable aperture...

Subject: [OM] 35-70, was More on 35~105 variable aperture...
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:11:48 -0400
Well, this got me looking at my lowly 35-70/3.5-4.5, which has a white dot
about where 4.5 would be.

Here's the question though: if I look through the rear element and move the
aperture ring, I can see the diaphragm close slightly as I go from 3.5 to
4.5 or so. This is without touching the DOF preview. Above 4.5 it stops
narrowing and behaves normally.

Does anyone else's do this? The eSIF says
  This zoom features a variable open aperture value, but when the
  aperture is closed down to F4.5 (marked by a white dot) or more,
  the F value remains constant throughout the zooming range.
  This makes the lens ideal for use of the zoom function during spot
  metering.
So it sounds like a feature.

The only downside I could see would be a slightly dimmer viewfinder, but I'd
like to know whether a aperture mechanism problem is brewing.

Andrew