[OM] Re: Lets see if I have this correct about OM glass and E-1 cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: Lets see if I have this correct about OM glass and E-1 cameras
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 23:43:38 -0800
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Assuming I had both an E-1 and the associated adapter to mount my OM lenses,
>would the following be true if I mounted a Zuiko 135mm f2.8 OM lens on the E-1.
>
>1) The effective focal length would be 270mm.

This is slightly trickier than it may seem. The sensor on the Can*n 10D,
et. al. has the same proportions as a 35mm frame, so the 1.6 multiplier
is straight forward. The E-1 frame is squarer, so it crops to 5x7 and
8x10, etc. with less loss. Although the commonly quoted multiplier is
2.0, that is only correct in the horizontal dimension. On the diagonal
the multiplier is 1.92 and vertically it is 1.78.

So for an 8x10 from an E-1 frame it is equivalent to a 240mm and would
be a 215mm eq. on a Can*n 10D. For 4x6 and 11x17, where width is
proportianally greater, on E-1 it would 270mm.

Moose