[OM] Re: external ambient/flash/reflected Lightmeters

Subject: [OM] Re: external ambient/flash/reflected Lightmeters
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:17:46 -0800
on 3/31/04 2:03 AM, Daniel Tan at dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> 50/1.4 + T32 + 2n + flat diffuser made from a milk carton.
> The diffuser seems to give better results (read: no animal-in-headlights
> look) than without it, even though it doesn't diffuse a great deal.
>
> I would guess that the lighting conditions of where I am are just rather
> bad. It's sort of a tungsten light + fluros + dark red carpet that goes
> half way up the walls. I experimented with a 82B (might be an 81B)
> previously but (stupid me) forgot to bring the filter along when I was
> supposed to shoot. The flash lighting just seemed to either blast the
> subject with light or render them slightly too dark. I guess it would
> also help if my scanner would stop trying to automatically WB the neg.
> My main gripe is that skin tones either get blasted out by the flash or
> left underexposed.
>
> Everywhere else, the flash has been fine.
>
> DT

Dan - when you use the T-32 with a diffuser, you have to be sure that the
light doesn't get into the little "O" in the Olympus if you're using regular
auto flash. This won't matter if you're using TTL flash, but the diffuser
still might be causing subtle light variations that make for uneven
exposure. I have gotten very evenly lighted pictures using a T-32 in the
'bounce' mode, with the flash tube tilted up to light the ceiling... even
coverage and good exposures using the 21/2.0 with both a 4Ti and a 3Ti body.
Direct the T-32 is supposed to cover the field of view of a 24mm lens, but
the bounce mode seems to fill the room with light evenly, enough that the 21
lens view is well lighted.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...