[OM] Re: external ambient/flash/reflected Lightmeters

Subject: [OM] Re: external ambient/flash/reflected Lightmeters
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:39:16 +0100
I think you have answered your own questions, Dan.

1       Disillusion with the flash system
2       Not knowing what to do with a 4T

If the flash is fine everywhere else but in a room with dark red carpet half
way up the walls, perhaps the flash is being misled by the background.  Keep
in mind that the flash auto exposure on a 2n is based on what the flashgun
sees through its own sensor, regardless of where the camera lens is
pointing, regardless of whether it is a 16mm or a 500mm lens.  A change in
the proportion of red carpet:white wall in the background of your shot will
change the flash exposure.

The 4T is different - the flash expsoure is based on what the camera sees
through the lens you are using, and depending also on what is in the frame
from shot to shot.

Trying a 4T is one alternative.  Another would be to try any other auto
flash on your 2n to see if that can perform any better in your chosen
location.  A further alternative would be to switch the T32 into manual mode
and do the guide number calcs yourself, avoiding any possibility of the auto
flash system being misled.  But there remains the possibility of *you* being
misled!

Piers