[OM] Re: Need help removing a stripped screw

Subject: [OM] Re: Need help removing a stripped screw
From: "PhotoSphere Olympus Camera Service" <olyfix@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:55:33 -0600
Along with the other suggestions, I would first try dripping some
penetrating oil (WD-40, etc.) onto the head and letting it soak for several
days before doing anything irreversible.  If you can remove the rest of the
screws, you might be able to "wiggle" the cover around and break the screw
loose, too.

You didn't say which model this was on, or where.  If it's something with
readily available replacement parts like an OM-10, you might not have to be
as careful as on say an OM-4.  You might try cutting a slot with a "screw
slotting file" if it's a screw on an edge, disregarding any damage you might
do to the cover.  Or, if you can remove the rest of the screws, and
especially if the jammed screw is a counter-sunk type, just pry the cover
off.  This usually leaves the damaged head in place, which you can then grip
with an old pair of flush-cut wire cutters -- you know, the ones you screwed
up trying to cut that coat hanger!