[OM] Re: OT - Seasonal Exchanges

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Seasonal Exchanges
From: Jason Waugh <jaywer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 06:28:57 -0800 (PST)
The Europeans have introduced the concept of the two seasons in the northern
part of Australia. The indigenous people actually had at least 8 seasons if I
remember correctly. I'm not sure whether different 'tribes' had more or less
though.
-JW

--- andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This was supposed to be an off-list message to BrianS - hence the
antipodean paranoia. It's done here on months so Spring begins with
March and Winter at the start of June. Not that we have European
seasons anyway so the entire concept is confusing. People always seem
to be surprised that the second half of Winter is dry and fine
although it happens every year - just because they're expecting
something called winter. I think that Melbourne has six seasons a
year and they are quite predictable - must come up with names for
them someday. Northern Aus. has just two seasons - The Dry and The
Wet - that's sensible.
And we have Autumn, all right?! (No native deciduous trees - well
one, Nothofagus gunnii, for the biopedants).
AndrewF