[OM] Re: Want to clean my cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: Want to clean my cameras
From: Gary Teller <gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:49:06 -0500
David,

Oh lordy, lordy, here comes another protracted discussion of the best
chemical compound (or is it mixture) to use for cleaning.  Can we
collectively say "How many list members does it take to clean a camera"?

Seriously,  I use denatured alcohol and kimwipes for all but the
glass.  For tight spaces I wrap the kimwipe around a filed down chopstick.
(I'm forever indebted to John H. for the chopstick idea.)  I judiciously
use a SMALL AMOUNT of Lexol or Armorall leather cleaner on the
leather.  This helps, as one our list members put it, tart it up a little
bit.  When finished I give it all a quick buffing with a soft cotton
cloth.  The engraved f stop and distance numbers on the lens might take a
bit of extra work if they're really dirty from repeated turning by
naturally oily fingers.  It's amazing how nice everything looks when you're
done.  For the items I've sold on eBay, presentation in a close up photo
really helped sell the stuff.

I usually avoid things like Q-tips/cotton swabs, cotton balls and other
fuzzy/furry things because they leave too much of themselves behind.

Hope this helps,

Gary