[OM] Re: Zuikos for 35mm motion picture photography?

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuikos for 35mm motion picture photography?
From: R.Jackson <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 12:40:57 -0800

On Mar 20, 2004, at 4:26 AM, David Cochran wrote:

> Shoot a test roll with similar focal lenghts (50mm Zuiko and then 50mm
> film
> normal film camera uses). What non-Zuiko lens or lenses do yo have for
> the
> camera? What camera is it?
>
> Depending of brand, motion picture lenses are sharper and better than
> photo
> lenses.
>
> peace
>
> David

Well, up until now all my work has been on Super-8 (a Beaulieu 7008
with a Schneider-Kreuznach f 1.4 / 6-70mm power zoom lens) and 16mm (on
a Canon Scoopic 16M with a Canon t 2.5 / 12.5-75mm zoom lens). I'm just
now considering a jump to 35mm for my senior film. I've looked at
Mitchell and Eclair cameras so far, but I'm still in the research
phase. I know a lot of people use Nikon and Canon glass in 35mm motion
picture cameras. There are even places that modify the mounts on some
Nikon and Canon lenses so they can be mounted without adapters. FWIW, I
think my Olympus glass is much nicer than either the Schneider or Canon
glass that I've used for motion picture photography so far. Ideally,
I'd love to have one mount on a turret changed to an Olympus mount if I
could find someone to do it. I've been looking at a Mitchell NC that's
set up to run 2-perf 2.35 (the old Techniscope format) and it has a
three lens turret. I'd love to try running that with one of the mounts
on the turret modified to accept my OM lenses. If the distance between
the glass and the film plane works out right and there's no vignetting
I can't imagine being any happier with a production package.