[OM] Re: Gear to go

Subject: [OM] Re: Gear to go
From: "Gordon J. Ross" <gordross@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 00:16:13 -0700
Hi Moose:

>From the MIR site- under a picture of an OM 1 dated 1972

The original OM-1 was called "M-1" until there were some dispute over the
brand name as Leica's M series rangefinder cameras also carried similar
trade name. The "M-1" was then changed to "OM-1" instead. Early "M-1" and
"OM-1" models do not have any provision to use with an automatic film
advance device such as Motor Drive or Power Winder.
It was only in 1974 that the original OM-1 was eventually factory produced
to add a Motor Drive Coupling __________________________________________

>From the Dimentia Site:

After its change from M-1 to OM-1 (which only was a rebadge) the OM-1 was
patched twice: in 1973 motor drive capabilities were added; existing models
could also be modified to accept a motor drive. This patch is commonly
reffered to as OM-1 MD because of the small label 'MD' that was put on the
front.

Even these two sites disagree, one quoting 1974 for the MD the other 1973.
>From dimentia site,  I had read that the OM without motor drive (mine has no
motor drive ) predated 1973 and postdated the M1 so I assumed 1972 but
posted the serial # too. So they continued making non MD OM 1's after the MD
was intro'd.? or is the dimentia site wrong.  Frankly the advance is so
buttery on these that it would be a shame to use a motor. I didn't expect
anyone to send money, just an advance notice of gear that I will sometime
post on the bay of E. Thanks for once again being there for me, I appreciate
it.

Thanks Gord